Author Topic: EU presidency and Greece. We get to stear the train(wreck)...  (Read 896 times)

Offline alexinathens

• X-treme Master
  • lives in Lalalandia...
    • View Profile
    • Paradise and hell coexist on planet Earth
EU presidency and Greece. We get to stear the train(wreck)...
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
http://rt.com/op-edge/greek-presidency-in-eu-865/

RT: Greece takes over the EU Presidency in 2014. Do you think the country in its present shape is capable of leading the entire union?

Aris Chatzistefanou: You know, to say that a country like Greece can lead the entire European Union is like saying that a banana republic in Latin America of the 1970s could have changed the foreign policy of the United States.

RT: The Greek government is promising timid growth in 2014. Is that really so or is it just a PR move?

AC: I can give you the status of the Greek economy just by showing the skyline of Athens. Right now the city is covered by smog and this is happening because people in Athens don’t have enough money to buy fuel or to pay electricity bills to keep themselves warm in the winter time. That’s happening for the first time since World War II. I think that’s the right image to project to Europe and not what the government’s propaganda wants to promote - that we are having a primary surplus in the budget or that this recession after six years will stop. If I had to give some figures for 2014, I would say that we will have unemployment around 30%, 60% in youth unemployment, the public debt will keep skyrocketing and the poverty will be in the worst condition for the last three generations of Greeks.