Author Topic: gun buyback program in Boston  (Read 2977 times)

Offline stephen6686

• View Profile

Offline M. Porcius Cato

• vera dico sed neqviqvam qvoniam non vis credere
    • View Profile
Re: gun buyback program in Boston
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:23:02 AM »
They do these in California "gun buy back" is a misnomer. You hand over your gun and they give you a target or wal mart gift card worth only a fraction of what the gun's worth. It's mostly used by people with illegal guns who don't want to get caught with them anymore taking advantage of the "no questions asked" policy.

Offline stephen6686

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 02:32:32 AM »
true, but it is a small start of them trying to get rid of the guns

Offline M. Porcius Cato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:59:50 AM »
well that aspect of it doesn't bug me so much.

I mean if people are dumb enough to trade in their gun for nickels on the dollar...free market, right?

Merrimack

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 06:04:14 PM »
I think it would be more along the lines of a free market with respect to gun selling if interested would-be gun buyers set up a stall right next to the Buy-Back Program HQ to give people a choice, but there are a myriad of reasons that isn't allowed.

Offline M. Porcius Cato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 06:28:13 PM »
nobody's making anyone show up....

in fact it shocks me how many people actually show up to these things given the poor trade-in value the government gives.

Merrimack

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »
Of course... I'm not arguing about this in any serious sense, just bellyaching. Maybe some day these people will regret selling to the carpetbaggers.

I suspect the link was posted in the first place because it seems a bit out of place for universal anti-gun sentiment to be bolstered by a government agency employed by tax dollars, which should support the constitution and not engage in behaviors which show a bias against any of its primary amendments. I know, I'm off-base.

My layman's logic would tell me that if a person were responsible enough to surrender a weapon, then they probably aren't the type an officer of the law would have any negative interaction with in the future involving a firearm.  But let's say they don't want it around, or can't afford appropriate locked storage, etc.

In this economy, I'd imagine most people would prefer to sell the gun privately. Oh, wait ...

Offline cujo

• X-treme Master
  • Semper Paratus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:01:26 PM »
Think about this, capitalism, for the last few years the gov has been trying to buy back guns, many of which has been old rusty relics.  So what's stopping people from buying old guns cheap and selling them to the gov?  Capitalism at it's finest!

Merrimack

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:27:28 AM »
That's the vein I was working.

I saw camera footage from a buyback program in Marin, California and they weren't relics.

Didn't this character sleep with and have conversations with his gun in the sitcom Sledge Hammer!  ?

Just think...

Offline cujo

• X-treme Master
  • Semper Paratus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 07:31:30 AM »
Don't know about the pics you saw, but in many buy backs the concern was they were getting old guns not the "Sporting" AR/AK's \.

Merrimack

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 10:20:35 AM »
Well, of course the semis are the controversial ones, but this means they instead disarm a population of supposedly level-headed people of simple handguns.

Next when someone tries to burglarize your house, rob your place of business, mug you, rape you or someone you love - and you respond with deadly force - you will be sent to the clink and likely indicted with "disproportionate response" like they do over here. 

If the ARs and AKs aren't coming in then people aren't as stupid as they think, right?