Author Topic: A few thing to consider with firearms  (Read 4626 times)

Offline sawfrog

• "dying is easy, it's living thats hard"
    • View Profile
A few thing to consider with firearms
« on: March 26, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
I have had firearms since i was 8 years old. I am now 62. (You do the math). Sometime I take for granted that everyone knows as much or is as experienced as I am. I got to thinking about it, how it
would  feel to be and inexperienced gun owner. I hope you are have one or plan on getting one soon. In these uncertain times I would not want to be withour some protection.

I have seen post on the internet about people having knives, baseball bats, etc. The old saying is "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight". If you are a new gun owner or thinking of buying one here are some things to consider:

1. You need a gun can operate easily. In a crisis situation you don't need to be doing the "hummm now how does this work" thing. Practice is so important. A small woman should not be carring a cannon. Too small a gun will just piss the assailant off.

2. Buy a gun for your needs. How far will you be shooting? 10-20 ft.? Get a shotgun.
200 yards? get a rifle. I will carry a 45 auto side arm on me at all time. But I don't want any "Zombies" to get close enough to have to use that. I would prefer to stop them before they get that close. If you live in the suburbs you probably won't be shooting that far in self defence.

3. Get a gun you can easily get ammo for. So important now there is so little ammo on the selves.

4. Keep it handy. If you have someone breaking into you home and you have to run to a safe or the place you hide the gun on the top self or the closet, then load it, good chance the bad guys are already in your house.

5. Never have a round chambered. This applies to semi-autos. I keep my gun loaded at all times, without being loaded it is nothing more than and expensive club.  I feel having a round in the chamber is dangerous, cambering a round is quick and easy.

Offline X22

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • X22 Report
Re: A few thing to consider with firearms
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
I agree with never have a round chambered. It is easy enough to rack the slide when needed. Same goes with a shotgun, you can have the shells loaded but not in the chamber.

Offline xreadx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
I dasagree with not having a round chambered. I tell my wife 'treat every gun as if it is loaded...because it IS loaded'. my .02

Offline infinitum

• R.I.P. Infinitum didn't know the cat was armed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »

I agree with xreadx. I have guns hidden all over the house, all chambered. The Governments idea of keeping your gun locked in a safe is insane. I think RC just posted an article about a guy that had his door kicked in. If you have a gun for protection, the idea is you will use it for protection. Stripped to the basics of being able to use that gun, eliminate the gun safe, eliminate an unloaded gun, then eliminate an unchambered gun. Now you have a gun for protection. You really don't know how much time you'll have. Naturally, I do all this with a shirt on.

RougeCoyote

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:21:16 PM »
I'd like to just comment on the shotgun. If I did own one I wouldn't have it chambered. And I say that for one reason and one reason only. There's something about the noise of that gun getting racked that's intimidating all in itself. I know because I've been on that end of it before. And when you hear that noise you have an oh shit moment. And when you turn and see that barrel I swear that thing doubles in size.

Offline xreadx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:49:04 PM »
I keep my home defense shotgun next to my bed. it has a snap cap in chamber and it has been shot(dummy Round) so when I rack it back and bring it forward there is now a live round in chamber. the safety is off and stays off. i do keep it unloaded and my 18 month old can not pull all the way down and rack one in chamber if she wanted to...all my other guns are in safe. Shotgun will buy time for me to bring out the big boys :)

Offline Miss Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 01:18:05 AM »
                                                                                                                                                                             I definitely agree about having a gun chambered. Just feel more at ease knowing that mine is chambered for self defense purposes. Never thought in my lifetime that I would even have to consider it.     

Offline Mission22

• My mission is to help .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
I can chamber a shell in my sleep in my 12 gauge.
I do have it with some ready and waiting.for my thumb though.
Salvage semi auto.
Had it since I was 16.
I will be 57 in a couple if weeks,..

I say never leave a loaded gun with children in the house.
No matter what.

Will never forget that horrid feeling upon hearing of a neighbors child playing cowboys and Indians with a loaded shotgun from behind the front door.

And the sounds of the screaming from.the younger child who had just killed his younger brother.

Or the time I was home alone about age 21.
And two guys kicked in the screen door to my back porch. And the sounds of them running fast back out thru it when I mashed that button .

And how fast their car ripped out of my driveway.
Or my grin standing.there glad I had not fired a shot.

Yet I was certainly ready to

Offline drastikmeazures

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »
 I prefer to keep the chamber empty in all of my firearms,  it takes about .5 milliseconds for me to rack the slide of a pistol.

FloydPink

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:30 PM »
I always tell myself that the gun isn't going to save my life. You have to save your life. The rifle is only as good as the person using it. A person may have a real accurate rifle and might not be able to hit the broad side of a barn. This is why you have to train with your firearm constantly, no matter how good or crappy it may be. You have to adapt to what you have. You don't necessarily have to go to the range with it to get a good feel for it. Practice holding it, rest your cheek on it, imagine you are shooting at something. The more you shoot it the more you are going to adapt to it. Don't buy a gun and just stick it in your closet for that day without using it. The thing might not even work. You have to know how it shoots with iron sights, the sights on my rifles are sighted in at 100 yard increments (it goes all the way out to 1000 yards), so when shooting at something lets say 50 yards you have to adjust for it. It's little things like this that determines if you miss and if you die. You've got to be able to operate that rifle without even thinking. You have to let your body do the work. You must not deviate from your routine. Always keep it simple. Shooting at paper targets is all good but its just paper, you have to shoot at real objects. You have to understand that you are going to be shooting at objects that are moving and shooting back at you. A person may be a good shot at the range but let's see how good of a shot that person is when it counts. There are so many variables, a person may be sleep deprived, fatigued, just plain worn out, you may not even have any strength inside of you left, you have to dig deep within yourself to keep on going. If you give in to the tiredness, pain or fear you are a dead man.

And here's some good advice, forget about all of that stuff you've ever seen in the movies, being macho will just get you killed. You have to be smart. You are a defender, not an attacker.  When it comes to defending yourself you have to be the one to do it, not some donut dunking cop. You can't reply upon them to save you. Just have faith in yourself, your will is going to come out eventually.

I talk to my gun, I have dreams about using it in realistic situations. When you use the same rifle for a long time it becomes an extension of yourself. It's my only friend.