Author Topic: Russian WW2 rifles with pitting inside the barrels.  (Read 4182 times)

FloydPink

Russian WW2 rifles with pitting inside the barrels.
« on: February 02, 2015, 01:55:08 AM »
I have an old Russian Mosin Nagant M44 carbine that was made in 1944 used in WW2, it has no matching numbers, mismatched parts, it looks beautiful the shellac has all been scraped off by a previous owner, exposing the bare wood which has some tiger striping to it, and some light dings. You'd never be able to tell that thing was recovered from a battlefield by looking at it until you took it apart, seeing the obvious erosion spots on the barrel along where the stock and the handguard meets. Inside the barrel it's dark and pitted, there is really no telling how long this thing sat exposed to the elements. As far as a danger to shoot it, its perfectly safe, good enough for the Russians good enough for me. I hear alot about how a pitted barrel can reduce accuracy of a rifle.

I shot it early this spring at 100 yards with iron sights, but this of course was with the front sight not quite aligned perfectly. It was shooting left a bit. It scared the crap out of the people shooting next to me. There are a lot of Russian rifles that are in this type of condition, found on the battlefield, either captured by the Finns or Germans, or sent back to the factory to be repaired and reused, like mine. The barrel has been reblued, most of the bluing has come off of the reciever though. When i bought it i couldnt see the rifled grooves in the bore because it was so dirty. It even had a burr in the reciever, but i pretty much took care of that when i scrubbed the bore with a wire brush. I havent really shot it that much to even see how bad it shoots or how good it shoots.

I want to hear what other gun enthusiasts have to say about this. Its something you need to look at when purchasing a rifle see if there is any pitting inside the barrel. You also want to properly clean and oil your rifles so that rust doesnt form and cause pitting.

Whats funny is i have a Chinese Mosin Nagant T53 Carbine that has a really beat up stock and it looks like it was never fired, very shiny, and very clean bore.

Deeply

Re: Russian WW2 rifles with pitting inside the barrels.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
My $.02

I've heard that pitting can lead to some interesting (and possibly hazardous) consequences.. Pitting (if bad enough) can strip the jacket from the bullet, which can leave pieces of the jacket in the bore. Firing the next round could then be "problematic," so say the least. Here's an interesting discussion from the 7.62x54r.net Forums on this particular subject:

http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=5427.0

You say your numbers don't match anyway, so consider buying a new barrel? They run about $70 if you can find them..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465966660

Alternatively, shoot your "never fired" Chinese T53 and retire the Russian "pitted barrel" M44. ;)

It really just comes down to safety. When it comes to firearms, safety should be your biggest consideration at all times.

FloydPink

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:11:14 PM »
I paid 89$ for the lil M44, I kind of have it as a battlefield relic, or if need be I can take parts off it if I were to get another M44. Safety is very important, I value my face.

It's not that bad where it shreds the patches. I'm glad that it's still functional, and not all FUBAR.

Maybe Putin can send me a M44 barrel.

Deeply

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:28:23 PM »

Offline tony acabono

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 09:41:03 PM »
The Mosin is one of the toughest rifles out there. Even pitted and rusted they deliver devastating accuracy.

If you are shooting surplus russian ammo (the cheap stuff) then you need to clean your bore with windex to neutralize the salts, then you can clean in the normal fashion.