Author Topic: Idle No More  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Red_Lister

• View Profile
Idle No More
« on: October 26, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »
Our people and our mother Earth can no longer afford to be economic hostages in the race to industrialize our homelands.

IT'S TIME FOR OUR PEOPLE TO RISE UP and take back our role as caretakers a stewards of the land.

-Eriel Daranger

Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation.

http://www.idlenomore.ca/

Recent anti fracking protests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO8K61i2tlQ

The Canadian first nation peoples have a reputation for being problematic due to defeated peoples syndrome. It seems they have finally had enough of the British imperial slave system. I myself, support this movement.

RougeCoyote

Re: Idle No More
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
I'm Umpqua Indian, Cow Creek Band. My tribe is in Oregon. Just wanted to ask you if there's anything your brothers in the States can do to help.

Offline Red_Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:04:07 PM »
Well, it's the beginning of winter here now so things will be winding down until next year. I'd suggest using this time to spread awareness of Idle No More among your local community. Then when spring time rolls around find out what pow-wow's are close to the American border and attend them with as big as a group you can bring together. There is a huge pow-wow in the city of Kamloops British Columbia every year. Mission BC also has a sizable pow-wow every year as well. No better way to get informed or involved than to go to the source.

Offline Walter White

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:58:57 PM »
While I sympathize with the recent fracking protests, I have read a few times recently that govts in North America will essentially never stop fracking now, as they have realized it is a source of fuel they can get fairly easily that is not from the middle east. If you look around you will see this is true. They will frack till the end of days no matter how much pollution is generated. Hardly anything new for the petroleum industry. Now, on the flip side, I have heard that most of their equipment is pretty costly to replace.. just sayin.

Offline a.g stackswell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »
No one typically cares about someone in a far off distant land. Even worse is aboriginal people have a horrible stigma for being over-entitled and people regale each other with tales of young boys getting 100 grand when they turn 18.  I live by a very large reserve and I find the people are friendly enough albeit a bit standoffish until they discover I am open-minded and generally polite. This is no different than any other small community. The only reason you hear the tales of the drunk ones is because their society has rejected them for frankly being assholes and booted them out of the community and straight into yours, but they too lay on the ground with their white brothers as they are cast out just as much as they are. You are obviously not going to be on a reserve to see the contrast.

Protesting is just going to reinforce stereotypes of "Oh gosh, those natives are complaining again! They need another hundred grand or a new house? We should send them back to Indonesia!" and the media will play on the fact.

Instead of protesting, why not use these resources and energy to create various forms of media that shows what actually happens to the water. The diseases you will get. Show trends that it will be coming towards their area. You are not going to all the people on your side until they realize this is a human problem, and not an aboriginal problem.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:14:15 PM by a.g stackswell »