Author Topic: Upgraded to Windows 10 without permission  (Read 2409 times)

Offline larkin

• View Profile
Upgraded to Windows 10 without permission
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »

I have been refusing Win10 up-grade on a continual basis while considering moving to Linux. The number one issue is political, surveillance and individual safety.  Coincidentally, I was cleaning out my hardrive 2nd partition and noticed that it was mysteriously full.

When I woke up this morning, Win10 had installed with out my permission.

I am not happy for a multitude of reasons not the least of which is surveillance.  Even if is successfully roll back to 7, I am sure that many surveillance aps will persist in the background.

About the privacy issue. I do not rip or torrent media. I don't engage in criminal activities but I know history.  A government that is good one day has the potential of turning bad. 

It is not a stretch to think that Microsoft is or will partner with government. The East German Stasi would have loved Win10.

Microsoft has stated that they can access our private files and e-mails and if requested they will provide them to the authorities.  At another time Microsoft said that if your computer crashes, they may beable to restore your private data.

These two statements taken together means that Microsoft is uploading your private files to the cloud by default..

Offline infinitum

• R.I.P. Infinitum didn't know the cat was armed.
    • View Profile
Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 without permission
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:37:25 PM »
Once again, back to reply #2 at this link. http://x22report.com/thepeople/index.php/topic,9768.msg30999.html#msg30999

Then move to Mexico and "Rip or Torrent" all the Globalist Company's you want.

Offline larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 05:38:02 AM »
Quote from infinitum
What’s the old saying? “If it Works, don’t fix it”.

Ever since Windows 95, I’ve made sure to keep Automatic Updates turned off. Completely off, don’t even ask. It was obvious years ago that updating Windows caused more problems than it solved and in the last few years, updates have mainly been to install more spyware. I’ve never had a pop-up ask me to install Windows 10. I’ve heard the reason you get that message is because Windows 10 is already installed on your computer and it will activate if you give the OK. My suggestion, although it’s like starting over, wipe the hard drive and install the original  Windows 7 disk, then turn off updates. If you’re worried about all those “Security???” fixes you’re missing, use FireFox with NoScript and a good free AntiVirus  program.
Keep in mind that I am not a geek, I am a user.
My first mistake was clicking the X in the upper right hand corner that usually clicks the nuisance away. Microsoft played a dirty trick on millions of people. The X that usually discards the box, actually approved the download at a later time, like when I was asleep!
(Microsoft probably knows when I'm asleep.)

So in the morning I saw, “Welcome to Windows 10”
You've heard all this.

After trying to get my machine to accept a Linux double boot a dozen times in a dozen different ways, I clicked the roll back to 7.  This wasn't my first choice because I thought that it was possible that a lot of Win10 applications would persist in the background.  Also, even though I had plenty of ram and an almost empty hard drive,  I had a bad feeling about this roll back to 7.

I was right. My machine had a profound crash. All the recovery slots were empty, my OS was gone and (probably my fault) my recovery discs were corrupted.

I called around and several people said, “No can do.”  One guy said, “I got 17 people just this week with the same problem.”

Reluctantly, I took it to the Geek Squad at Staples to have a clean wipe and 7 installed. $139.00.
This guy said, where's your product key?  I gave him the OEM. He said that's not your product key..
Normally I might just buy a new box but I wanted Win7 and an i7processor with an expensive graphic card so I had it custom build by some guy who drove off in a Tesla...

At Staples, I said, well can I buy a product key for Win7?
He said, “No.”
At this point I was ready to surrender. “Can I buy a product key for Win10?
He said, “No.”

I found a Win7 full OS for one machine from Dell for $170.  And I purchased a new C: drive for $70. and I have been waiting patiently now for 6 days.

So much for the “Free” Microsoft Windows up-grade.

I will follow this with a broader picture of what I think Microsoft is up to. 

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:42:33 AM by larkin »

Offline larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:19:28 AM »
The dire significance of this issue of government intrusion seems to be lost on a complacent public.  It is not spies and terror that government worries about. It is losing the ability to control and manipulate people for the benefit of government and its corporate partners.  This is clearly illustrated by the dramatic difference between corporate TV media and a rush towards a democratic and free internet.  The window of this free and unfettered internet is being quickly closed by the same large forces that traditionally dominate information for private gain.  This debate argues that the government's case is over and above the individual's right to freedom from personal intrusion by the state.  Its ultimate purpose will be to install tyranny. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqXQudhnHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tep6UkYLVhE
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:47:26 PM by larkin »

Offline Nym Net

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:36:06 PM »
My Nokia Windows phone upgraded without Wifi access.  All my contacts pics were left blank and my son's phone number changed. He had given me his new number over a yr ago but all his txts and calls continued to come through on the original number. I had even called him from my landline on said number. I figured he'd changed his mind, but I kept the new number anyway and left it at that.

Last weekend my ph started switching itself off and restarting. On Tuesday all contact pics were gone and my son's txts started coming through on the new number. I contacted my other son who verified the new number was the only number he had used to contact his brother. When my son was here on Sunday I showed him the text msg feed from the original number. He was as baffled as I as to how it was still in use when he had changed sim cards over a yr ago.

I don't have wifi or digital anything in my house and my ph's wifi is switched off.

Offline infinitum

• R.I.P. Infinitum didn't know the cat was armed.
    • View Profile

Offline Nym Net

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:21:49 AM »

Lol that's how it felt too! All day I kept checking and rechecking.

Offline larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 06:27:12 AM »
The overriding objection to Win10 is not about cosmetic and appearance issues. Microsoft is taking our computers, our private property and turning it into a dedicated terminal for the gathering of our information for resale.

We have no rights to privacy and yet, Microsoft takes and sells our info to “trusted” 3rd party vendors who then call it proprietary with the right to re-sell. The privacy settings are phantoms, they are not real.

In the TOS it clearly states that Microsoft has the rights to go into your private files and if asked by police or government authorities they will provide it to them. In another public statement, Microsoft says that if you have a critical crash, Microsoft may be able to recover your private files. These two statements taken together mean that Microsoft is up-loading your private files by default.

The day is arriving when you could be turned down for an apartment, a mortgage or employment based on raw information that will be impossible for you to correct. Even today, during a routine traffic stops by police may result in a visit to the person's Facebook page.

I am not saying that surveillance wasn't an issue in previous editions of Windows, but in this one, Windows10 OS is inserting itself between you, “the user” and Google, Facebook and the internet for competitive reasons without regard to it's users.

Microsoft has betrayed a trust and many loyal users are starting to look elsewhere for alternatives.