In this report we will discuss the latest news on the economic collapse. The world is on edge because the US government agencies (NSA) have intercepted communications that there is a terrorist threat across the world. Meanwhile the government is trying to limit the rights of the people, the economy is doing worse and the all the calculated number, GDP, unemployment and inflation numbers are all fake. The government has shown unemployment has gone down but realistically the number of jobs increase is due to people falling off and the number of part times has increased.
Please check the Sentinel Alerts for the latest news on the economic collapse. The Sentinel Alerts are updated throughout the day. If you haven’t already, go to “The People” and join the community of people who are helping each through the economic collapse.
If the Greek people are unemployed and Greece needs to layoff 25,000 people to receive more debt, how can people expect to pay there taxes when they lose their jobs. They are surviving on what they have and the last thing on their mind is to pay a collapsing government.
- While Europe, and especially Germany has been understandably “displeased” with having to provide billions in bailout upon bailout funding to Greece every year starting in 2010, all the more so following recent news that Greece has already spent some 75% of its bank bailout cash with no discernible improvement in its economy to show for it, Europes’ taxpayers will unlikely be any more pleased to learn that as of the end of June, a whopping €60 billion in past due taxes (an all time record) was owed by Greek businesses and individuals to the state. This is an amount that is 20% greater than the entire external cash handed over by the Troika to keep Greek banks afloat, and represents nearly 30% of imploding Greek GDP.
- Perhaps instead of spending money on trips by its premier and/or think-tanks on how to mutually assure itself another few billion in Troika cash to plug this budget hole or that, Greece should invest a few grand to buy the ink it needs to print tax forms, streamlining its tax collection department (on those days it is isn’t on strike of course) and generate some real IRR.
- Kathimerini has the full story:
- Taxpayers’ and businesses’ outstanding debts to the state increased by 3.7 billion euros this year to reach a record 59.77 billion euros at the end of June.
- There was an increase of 613 million euros between May and June alone, the general secretariat for public revenues said.
- It attributed the rise to the reorganization of the tax administration, delays over offering new payment plans for those with expired debts and the continuing recession and rising unemployment.
- Of the total taxes yet to be collected, 21.8 billion euros is owed by individuals and 38.2 billion by businesses.
- But why collect overdue taxes and antagonize the Greek taxpaying population (the so-called “professional classes”), when there is a German taxpaying population that can be antagonized, and when Mario Draghi is willing to accept Greek feta and olive oil as money good assets in Europe’s unprecedented ongoing collateral transformation experiment?
You can put money into the banks but once they have it they will not let it out so easily. So the restrictions for withdrawing are still in place. So who in their right mind would want to put their money in the banks to get capital controls. It use to be when you opened an account you received a toaster, but now they just take it and don’t give it back to you
- Cyprus’ Finance Ministry has eased restrictions as regards the opening of new bank accounts. The new provisions are included in the 19th decree on capital controls issued Friday.
- According to the decree, it is allowed to open a bank account, provided that this account is a new fixed term deposit created with funds from cash provided that : the amount to be deposited exceeds €5,000 and the term of the new fixed term deposit is at least 3 months, and the new fixed term deposit cannot be terminated prior to its maturity.
- The account can be open provided further that upon the first maturity of the fixed term deposit, the funds from the fixed term deposit will not be subject to specific restrictive measures imposed by the decree and provided even further that the opening of a current account for the beneficiary/beneficiaries of the fixed term deposit is prohibited, or the account relates to a new loan granted.
- The opening of a current/sight account related to the new loan is permitted only if the said current/sight account will only be used for the servicing of the loan and all deposits into the said current/sight account will be used for the servicing of the loan and cannot be used for any other transaction.
- The FinMin also allows the opening of a new bank account, provided further that the loan proceeds must be disbursed into a sight/current account, within the same or another credit institution, within the Republic and shall be subject to the restrictive measures applicable to sight/current accounts.
- The 19th decree includes specific restrictions which remain unchanged.
- Hence, the maximum amount of cash withdrawal cannot exceed €300 daily per natural person or €500 daily per legal person, in each credit institution or the equivalent of these amounts in foreign currency, whereas the cashing of cheques is prohibited.
- Furthermore, cashless payments or transfers of deposits/funds to accounts held in other credit institutions within the Republic up to €15,000 per month per natural person in each credit institution regardless of the purpose are permitted, while in case of a legal person (company) the permitted cashless payments or transfers of deposits/funds reach €75,000 regardless of the purpose.
- Cashless payment or transfer of deposits/funds to accounts held in other credit institutions within the Republic up to €300,000 per transaction are permitted for the purchase of goods and or services.
- Transactions for the purchase of goods and or services above €300,000 are permitted upon presentation of justifying documents.
- Cashless payment and or transfer of deposits/funds to accounts held abroad are permitted for payments and or transfers of deposits/funds up to €500,000 per transaction, provided that they concern transactions that fall within the normal business activity of the customer upon presentation of justifying documents.
- Payment and or transfer of deposits/funds abroad from €500.001 to €1.000.000 per transaction, is subject to the approval of the Committee, while payments for salaries of employees upon presentation of supporting documents.
- Furthermore, the decree permits transfers abroad for living expenses up to €5,000 per quarter as well as tuition fees, of a person who is studying abroad and is a first degree relative of a Cyprus resident, on the basis of supporting documents, whereas transfers of deposits/funds outside the Republic up to €5,000 per month, per person for each credit institution and or payment institution regardless of the purpose.
- The termination of fixed deposits prior to their maturity is prohibited, except from the transfer up to €5,000 per month within the same credit institution, in duly substantiated cases where the credit institution is satisfied that the transfer is done for humanitarian reasons. Additionally the transfer of €300 daily per natural person, from a notice account of a natural person, to a sight/current account of a natural person, within the same credit institution is permitted.
- Capital controls on transactions in Cyprus have been imposed following an agreement during the Euro Area Finance Ministers meeting on March 25 that has agreed on a €10 billion bailout for Cyprus, featuring an unprecedented haircut on uninsured deposits in a bid to replenish the depleted capital of the island`s two largest banks which sought state support following massive losses due to the haircut of the Greek sovereign debt. (CNA)
- Annual unemployment increased by 31.7% in July in relation to the same month of 2012, Cyprus Statistical data published on Monday, show.
- Unemployed persons, registered at the District Labour Offices on the last day of July 2013, reached 48.001 persons.
- Based on the seasonally adjusted data showing the trend of unemployment, the number of registered unemployed for July 2013 increased to 48,112 persons in comparison to 47,594 in the previous month.
- In comparison with July 2012, an increase of 11,549 persons or 31.7% was recorded.
- This was mainly observed in the sectors of trade (an increase of 2,690 unemployed persons), construction (an increase of 1,558), education (an increase of 1,448), manufacturing (an increase of 1,211), accommodation and food service activities (an increase of 676), as well as on newcomers in the labour market where an increase of 1,459 unemployed persons was recorded.
- At the same time Statistical Service data show that unemployed young people under 25 years of age were 5,540 in July.
- The greatest number of unemployed, 11,401 people, is recorded in the age range between 30 and 39.
- Women constitute just over half of the unemployed workforce at 24,742.
- Data show that 18,085 of unemployed have competed secondary education while 15,473 have completed higher education.
- Of a total of 48,001 unemployed, 17,881 say they have been without work for a period between 15 days and 3 months, 9,711 between 3 and 6 months and 9,831 between 6 months and a year.
- A total of 6,941 of unemployed people say that they have been without a job for over a year.
- The president of Cyprus, Nicos Anastasiades, has announced the creation of a “Guaranteed Minimum Income” for all citizens. The president said, “Beneficiaries will be all of our fellow citizens who have an income below that which can assure them a dignified living, irrespective of age, class or professional situation.” According to Cyprus Mail, the policy will begin in June 2014. The exact level of the grant will be determined between now and then, but every citizen would be guaranteed “the minimum needs for a dignified living in a European Country.”
- If the program goes into affect as described, it will be the world’s first full “Basic Income Guarantee” (BIG) as defined by the U.S. Basic income Guarantee Network: “government ensured guarantee that no one’s income will fall below the level necessary to meet their most basic needs for any reason.” However, the details of the program available so far indicate that it will be the negative income tax version (NIT) and not the basic income (BI) version of BIG. The difference is that NIT gets everyone to the minimum by paying only those whose incomes are below some minimum level, while BI gets everyone to the minimum, pay paying all citizens regardless of means. What will actually happen remains to be seen.
- There is about 1.2 trillion dollars worth of student loans outstanding with all but 15% of that owned or guaranteed by the government. The chart below shows the student loan amount held directly by the federal government. That balance is rising at about $110 bn per year, reports Sober Look.
If notice the the President always makes sure that the sequester always effects the everyday person. These men and women who have given their lives to protect every American’s freedom should be rewarded and their benefits and the money they receive should never be cut. Obama decided to pay for the staffers health insurance because they complained his crappy Obamacare was to exepensive, instead the US government is sending 500 million dollars to Syrian paid mercenaries to pay for their salaries. We are sending billions to Egypt etc… Whats wrong with this picture?
- Military hospitals in the US face serious financial problems in the wake of federal spending cuts known as sequestration.
- Many patients of American military hospitals are being sent to private medical centers and their treatments delay because of furloughs to medical personnel, USA Today reports, citing interviews and hospitals’ documents.
- “Please show (patients) the utmost understanding and care while we are asking them to accept longer wait times and in some cases, curtailed or limited services,” Rear Adm. Alton Stocks, hospital commander, told staff in a July 12 message, the report said.
- According to medical officials, routine treatments at military hospitals are delayed, and serious combat wounded are given priority.
- The problem comes as cases of post-traumatic stress disorder and other mental health problems are at an all-time high due to costly US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- A pentagon top medical official has called the sequestration illogical and a significant threat. “We simply cannot continue to sustain the burdens placed on the military medical system if sequester remains the law of the land,” Jonathan Woodson, assistant secretary of Defense for health affairs said, as reported by the newspaper.
- Spending cuts led the Pentagon to furlough over 640,000 civilian workers for 11 days between July 8 and the end of the fiscal year on Sept. 30, according to the report. All but 6,600 of Army’s 44,000 civilian medical workers are being furloughed.
- Maj. Gen. Richard Thomas, commander of 11 Army hospitals in the western United States said “the impact on morale is huge.”
- On March 1, President Barack Obama signed an order to implement $85 billion in budget cuts as part of the sequestration cuts. The cuts are the start of $1 trillion in spending cuts over the next decade.
- It would appear that in the order of who knows what when, in the case of JCPenney, it is C-level executives first, credit markets second (was Goldman’s line a pre-DIP?), and equity shareholders (Ackamn included) last. With the torrent of executve departures in the last year, credit market investors led the equity over the past two weeks as credit lines were (allegedly) pulled. Today’s 50bps rise in JCP’s 5Y CDS pushes the company’s risk of bankruptcy to its highest ever (arguably higher than 65% over the next few years given the secured assets). JCP’s stock is down 2% on the day but still holding above its April (and 2009) lows (for now).
Soon it won’t be just the interest scandal of robbing the people of their pensions it will be an outright theft to save the entire system plus we will see bail-ins just like Cyprus.
- In another case of ‘conspiracy’ confirmed as reality, US regulators are now revealing various documents and call logs detailing initiatives by the world’s mega banks to rig interest rates in order to rake in millions at the expense of legitimate businesses and pension funds.
- And once again, the media is acting as if this revelation is truly inconceivable and unexpected. As it turns out, however, reports now confirm what we have known for decades: that the mega banks are in fact gutting the economy in order to squeeze as many greenbacks as possible from the last breathe of our financial infrastructure. It’s essential to remember that, as Bloomberg revealed in an attempt to obtain alternative news readers and latch on to some form of credibility, these mega banks are already receiving $83 billion from taxpayers each year.
- WALL STREET FUNDING DRUG CARTELS WITH TAXPAYER INCOME
- What’s amazing is the blatant and audacious nature of these mafia bankers, who are confident they can continue to siphon our cash without consequence.
- But before we even get into the once again blatant siphoning of finances from pension funds and legitimate businesses, you should also be reminded where this cash is then funneled. As it turns out, the mega banks turn to Mexican drug cartels and known terrorists inside the United States in order to generate massive profits on their investments. A reality that has even been reported on by mainstream media outlets and buried within the ‘miscellaneous’ news categories with very low visibility.
- NBC News, for example, has covered the admission that mega banks like HSBC are indeed funding Mexican drug cartels that continue to pump drugs into the United States. So much for the phony drug war, huh?
- BANKERS ROB PENSION FUNDS, REAL BUSINESS FINANCES
- These are the colossal corporations we are now entrusting to regulate and control our economy, and then we wonder why they’re obliterating the pension funds. We have given the banks the role of regulating the premiere benchmark for interest-rate derivatives. Known as ISDAfix, documents now being ‘investigated’ by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) explain how Wall Street bankers went in and worked with various brokers in order to alter this benchmark rate of the industry in order to profit.
- Bringing down others in the process, the Wall Street sharks were on record in e-mails and phone calls discussing plans to make loads of cash on derivatives trades by altering ISDAfix rates in their favor. After all, they knew what would happen to the rates they were controlling. This is, by the way, extremely illegal and specifically prohibited in the 2010 Dodd-Frank Act. And guess what, the whole gang is involved.
- In fact, the banks now being investigated for robbing pensions via the rigging of interest benchmarks now include:
- Bank of America Corp
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Wells Fargo & Co.
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- And several others
- As always, the usual suspects are up to their consistent game of looting the economy for their own gain. The usual banking mafia that operates under the love of money, power, and absolute deception. The purest form of absolute corruption there is in the whole system today
China cementing its foothold becoming the next world power. Now taking control of shipping in South Asia. “The massive terminal in Colombo is located mid-way on the lucrative east-west sea route and has facilities on a par with Singapore and Dubai.” Even though Sir Lanka will not allow a military base during war all bets are off.
- A $US500 million ($A562.65 million) Chinese-built port opens this week in Sri Lanka, giving Beijing a vital foothold on the world’s busiest international shipping lane as it seeks to secure maritime supply routes.
- The massive terminal in Colombo is located mid-way on the lucrative east-west sea route and has facilities on a par with Singapore and Dubai.
- The Colombo International Container Terminal (CICT), which is 85 per cent owned by the state-run China Merchant Holdings International, is designed to handle mega ships – a first for Sri Lanka which is aiming to become the region’s shipping hub.
- The involvement of such a large Chinese company appears to conform to a pattern by Beijing after it sealed a deal in January to acquire the Pakistani port of Gwadar at a time when it is also building a $US14 million “dry port” in the Nepalese city of Larcha, near Tibet.
- Chinese loans and expertise were also instrumental in the construction of a new $US450 million deep-sea port at the southern Sri Lankan city of Hambantota which opened in June 2012.
- Independent shipping expert, Rohan Masakorala, says the new terminal made economic sense for China to tap in to the growing South Asian container cargo and gave Beijing a foothold along a strategic sea route.
- “Terminal investments are a good business which can give a very good return,” said Masakorala, a former secretary-general of the Singapore-based Asian Shippers Council.
- “Through this investment, China is also securing the safety and efficiency of their main supply chain.”
- Masakorala, who heads the Shippers’ Academy Colombo, said about half of all world sea trade passed through the east-west shipping route and a presence at a mid-way point along that gives China a commanding position.
- The Chinese investment in Sri Lanka, which is under pressure from Western powers and India over its human rights record, has raised fears in New Delhi about Beijing’s influence in the neighbourhood.
- But Priyath Bandu Wickrama, chairman of the state-run Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA), insisted that India had nothing to fear from the new Colombo port and could in fact be a major beneficiary.
- “We will not allow any military base at our ports nor will we allow them to be used for any strategic military purpose by anyone,” Wickrama said.
More drills for Russia and China, they are becoming closer as the world is headed closer and closer to WWIII
- Russian-Chinese anti-terror drills are in full swing with the latter’s tanks and gunships training at a military range in the Urals. It comes less than a month after joint naval drills, the largest of their kind China has participated in to date.
- The joint counter-terror exercises, codenamed Peace Mission 2013, went live on Saturday and will last until August 15.
- “The key goal of the upcoming maneuvers is to organize the joint work by control authority and troops to prepare and conduct military actions during the anti-terrorist operation. The maneuvers will take place in three stages, which include the re-deployment of troops, the planning of the operation and joint military actions,” a military press release said.
- Maneuvers have been prepared by the United Strategic Command of the Russian Central Military District and the Shenyang Military Region of the People’s Liberation Army of China.
- The drills at the Chebarkul military training area in the Chelyabinsk region involve 1,500 personnel, 600 of whom are Chinese servicemen. Overall 250 pieces of military hardware are taking part in the exercises, as Chinese troops brought along their own tanks, light reconnaissance vehicles, 120-mm self-propelled howitzers, 152-mm self-propelled guns, JH-7A ‘Flying leopard’ fighter-bombers and Harbin Z-9 gunships and Mi-171 transport helicopters.
- The distance between Shenyang Military Region and the Chebarkul military range is well over 4,000 kilometers. While Chinese troops and armored vehicles were delivered to the training area in Russia’s Urals by railway, the helicopters and fighter jets covered the distance with a number of refueling landings. The logistical challenges were demonstrated by Chinese gunships and transport helicopters – accompanied by Russian Mi-8 military helicopters – which had to stop eight times to reach the Chebarkul range. It has been reported that all the combat systems and munitions aboard the Chinese aircrafts remained deactivated during their flight through Russian airspace.
- On August 1 a Chinese task force deployed to Russia celebrated the birthday of the People’s Liberation Army of China while training with Russian servicemen.
- “We’re glad that both countries have a high level of mutual trust. We’re not competitors, but we’re partners. Trust between the two countries became the unique feature of the Peace Mission,” Shi Xiangyuan, deputy chief of staff of the Shenyang Military Region of the People’s Liberation Army, told ITAR-TASS news agency on Saturday.
- “We’re pleased that we are conducting the exercises in the military district which hosts 40 percent of Russia’s armed forces. I’m sure that the Peace Mission 2013 will yield results. This is a new stage of military cooperation between the Chinese and Russian armies,” the Chinese military said, stressing that strategic cooperation between the Russian and Chinese armies had reached an unprecedented level in the recent years.
- While preparing for the exercise, Russia and China held three conferences and also conducted reconnaissance operations. The Russian military group is led by deputy chief of staff of the Central Military District Major-General Sergey Chuvakin. China’s group is under the command of the deputy chief of staff of the Shenyang Military Region Zhang Yan.
- The joint command of Peace Mission 2013 involves 60 Russian and Chinese staff officers. The ground operation portion of the drill will be performed by a battalion task group and Chinese tactical units. A united air group, including bombers and gunships, will provide air support for the ground forces.
- At a media conference that introduced the exercises, Shi Xiangyang relayed to reporters a Chinese proverb, saying “We don’t seek to be number one, but we seek perfection.”
- Just like the Russian army, the People’s Liberation Army of China is undergoing technical and structural reforms right now. Joint exercises like Peace Mission 2013 are called with an eye to helping both armies to strive as close to perfection as possible.
- Economic and diplomatic ties between Moscow and Beijing have gotten increasingly close in recent years. The positions of the two countries have mostly coincided on a large number of major issues in geopolitical affairs, as Russia and China have presented a united front in the UN and other international organizations.
- China is becoming Russia’s priority market at an accelerating rate, as Moscow is shifting its economic priorities from Europe to Asia, boosting trade ties with the world’s second largest economy.
- In spring 2013 the newly elected Chinese President Xi Jinping chose Russia as primary destination for his first international visit. The package of energy deals he signed in Moscow with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin has guaranteed that China will become Russia’s primary energy market within the next several years.
- Russia and China have already held a number of joint military exercises since 2005. The joint naval exercises in 2013 were the largest ever between the two states.
- All Russian-Chinese war games are organized within the framework of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), which was founded in 2001. The SCO comprises China, Russia and four Central Asian countries: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- The SCO member states coordinate efforts to jointly counter terrorism, while also consolidating efforts in other areas such as politics and trade.
US/Central bankers do not want peace in Syria. The European allies don’t want peace with Syria. The western central bankers only want one thing, the US dollar as the reserve currency for Iran and Syria and a western central bank setup in both countries. If Syria and Iran agree to these terms you magically see peace talks otherwise the US and Europe will go to war to make the US dollar the reserve currency
- An American analyst says Washington and its European allies have so far failed to show support for political dialogue on the crisis in Syria, Press TV reports.
- Executive Intelligence Review’s Bill Jones, from Leesburg, made the remarks during an interview with Press TV.
- According to Jones, “there has been no pressure coming from the United States’ side or from that of the European countries to try to bring about negotiations.”
- The analyst said that there was also no pressure on the opposition groups fighting the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to “come to the table.”
- Instead, he added that Washington and Western states were actually in favor of the opposition fighting the Syrian government.
- “Even though there’s not a lot of good will coming from the side of the Western nations and especially not from the Syrian opposition to try and reach a peaceful solution, I think talking is better than having any of the major powers getting engaged in the fight that’s going on in Syria.”
- Syria has been gripped by deadly unrest since 2011.
- Western powers and their regional allies – including the Israeli regime, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar – continue to support militant groups, including al-Qaeda-linked terrorists, in Syria.
- Many of the militants operating inside Syria are reportedly foreign nationals.
- The UN says more than 100,000 people have been killed and millions of others displaced in the violence.
The regime in Iran is not a western regime where the US dollar is the reserve currency. Israel and the US have been saying that Iran has been building a nuclear weapon for over 20+ years and Iran is always 3-5 years out in creating the bomb. So far no bomb. The real issue and what the central bankers want is for Syria and Israel to trade their oil in the US dollar and they want a western central bank installed their countries.
- Responding to the swearing in of the new Iranian president Hasan Rouhani, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said to the Sunday cabinet meeting: “Iran’s president might have been replaced, but the regime remained as it was. One of Iran’s intentions is to develop a nuclear capability and weapons with the purpose of destroying Israel. This is a risk for both Israel and the world and we are all committed to preventing this from happening.”
Here are some of the reports that Iran are so close to building a nuclear bomb, this has been going on over 20+ years. They continue to use the same argument. Shouldn’t our congressman start to ask questions of why this has been reported and they have never created, developed, tested or done anything for the last 20 years plus. Maybe if our congressman did their job they would find out the real reason the central bankers and US government want Syria and Iran is to place them on the US dollar as the reserve currency and install a western central bank.
1992: Leaked copy of the Pentagon’s “Defense Strategy for the 1990s” makes little reference to Iran, despite laying out seven scenarios for potential future conflict that stretch from Iraq to North Korea.
1995: The New York Times conveys the fears of senior US and Israeli officials that “Iran is much closer to producing nuclear weapons than previously thought” – ab
1997: The Christian Science Monitor reports that US pressure on Iran’s nuclear suppliers had “forced Iran to adjust its suspected timetable for a bomb. Experts now say Iran is unlikely to acquire nuclear weapons for eight or 10 years.”
1998: The New York Times said that Israel was less safe as a result of the launch even though Israel alone in the Middle East possessed both nuclear weapons and the long-range missiles to drop them anywhere.
1998: The same week, former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld reports to Congress that Iran could build an intercontinental ballistic missile – one that could hit the US – within five years. The CIA gave a timeframe of 12 years.
2002: CIA warns that the danger from nuclear-tipped missiles, especially from Iran and North Korea,
2004: Then-Secretary of State Colin Powell tells reporters that Iran had been working on technology to fit a nuclear warhead onto a missile.
2005: US presents 1,000 pages of designs and other documentation allegedly retrieved from a computer laptop in Iran the previous year, which are said to detail high-explosives testing and a nuclear-capable missile warhead.
2007: President Bush warns that a nuclear-armed Iran could lead to “World War III.
January 2011: A report by the Federation of American Scientists on Iran’s uranium enrichment says there is “no question” that Tehran already has the technical capability to produce a “crude” nuclear device.
February 2011: National intelligence director James Clapper affirms in testimony before Congress that “Iran is keeping the option open to develop nuclear weapons in part by developing various nuclear capabilities a
- Seventy-six US senators have urged President Barack Obama to impose tougher sanctions on Iran, saying Washington must stress its military option even as new President Hassan Rowhani urges dialogue.
- “Mr. President, we urge you to bring a renewed sense of urgency to the process,” said the letter, publicized Monday by authors Robert Menendez, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and Republican Senator Lindsey Graham.
- “We need to understand quickly whether Tehran is at last ready to negotiate seriously” on its nuclear program, it said.
- Another 74 senators signed the letter, which was sent to the White House on Friday, two days before Rowhani was sworn in in Tehran.
- The reputed moderate once served as Iran’s nuclear negotiator, and the West is hoping that he will take a more constructive approach in long-running talks on Tehran’s controversial nuclear drive.
- Despite Iranian denials, the West is convinced Tehran is pursuing a nuclear bomb.
- “Iran has used negotiations in the past to stall for time, and in any event, (supreme leader Ayatollah Ali) Khamenei is the ultimate decision-maker for Iran’s nuclear program,” the senators wrote to Obama.
- “Iran needs to understand that the time for diplomacy is nearing its end. We implore you to demand immediate serious moves on Iran’s part.”
- The White House said Sunday that Iran will find the United States a “willing partner” if Rowhani is prepared for serious nuclear talks.
- Last week shortly before Congress went on summer break, the House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved harsh new sanctions aimed at drastically reducing Iran’s oil exports by ending purchasing exemptions to countries like China and Japan.
- The recess window is being seen as a pivotal period for both the White House and Iran.
- A Senate official told AFP that after the August recess the Senate Banking Committee aims to introduce legislation on further sanctions against the Islamic republic.
- “Our nation must toughen sanctions and reinforce the credibility of our option to use military force,” the senators wrote.
- “We must be prepared to act, and Iran must see that we are prepared.”
- Rowhani inherits a turbulent nation that is struggling economically, largely due to crippling sanctions already on the books.
- But he insisted Sunday that “if you want a proper answer, do not speak with Iran with the language of sanctions but with the language of respect.”
Iran and Armenia are bartering for gas and oil so the US sanctions are bypassed. Russia has missiles in Armenia and they are upgrading a military base in this region. Russia backs Iran and Syria
- Iran’s President Hassan Rohani says the Islamic Republic will seek to expand relations with Armenia.
- “The relations between the Islamic Republic of Iran and Armenia have always been friendly, close and based on mutual interests, and definitely in the future, Tehran’s efforts will focus on deepening relations and improving cooperation in all sectors,” Rohani said in a meeting with Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan in Tehran on Monday.
- “The Islamic Republic of Iran has always expanded interaction with Armenia based on cultural and civilizational commonalities…,” the Iranian president said.
- Rohani noted Armenia’s friendly positions adopted vis-à-vis Iran in the international scene.
- For his part, Sargsyan underscored two decades of effective and constructive cooperation between Tehran and Yerevan.
- Iran has bartered more than 1.5 billion cubic meters of gas with Armenia’s electricity over the past six years.
- National Iranian Gas Company (NIGC) said recently that around 1.5 billion cubic meters (bcm) of natural gas has been traded with Armenian electricity during the 2007-2012 period.
- Last year, the Islamic Republic exchanged some 481 million cubic meters (mcm) of gas with the neighboring country’s electricity, the largest amount of bartering between Iran and Armenia in six years.
What these senators propose is to keep the mainstream media protected and everyone else not protected by the 1st Amendment. The mainstream media is controlled by the US government/central bankers and the internet alternative media is not. The 1st Amendment is for all types of press to have the freedom of the press. The central bankers need to control the creation of money and the flow of information. They thought they did this by controlling the mainstream media but with the internet they lost that control so now they need to control it, the internet news is becoming to big to fast and it is not that controlled. That is why they are pushing CISPA, and the President created the Executive Order to control all communications
- As the U.S. Senate continues to debate a national law to protect journalists from protecting their sources, two Senators believe unpaid bloggers and websites like WikiLeaks shouldn’t get extended First Amendment protections.
- The Senate Free Flow of Information Act of 2013 would establish a national “shield law” that would give journalists protection from testifying in situations when investigators want the sources of confidential information used in media reports.
- However, in today’s world, the definition of the word “journalist” means different things to different people, and two powerful Senators, Dianne Feinstein and Richard Durbin, say journalists only should enjoy extended First Amendment protection if they work for traditional media outlets on a paid basis.
- The Free Flow of Information Act was introduced earlier this year by Senator Charles Schumer, who had introduced a similar bill in 2009 with the late Senator Arlen Specter. Back then, Feinstein and Durbin wanted strict definitions of the word “journalists” after the WikiLeaks story broke.
- Their current amendment to the bill poses the same questions.
- “This bill is described as a reporter shield law — I believe it should be applied to real reporters,” Feinstein said last week. “The current version of the bill would grant a special privilege to people who aren’t really reporters at all, who have no professional qualifications.”
- The Feinstein-Durbin proposed amendment would narrowly define journalists as “a salaried agent” of a media company.
- Feinstein also reportedly said that the bill shouldn’t apply to WikiLeaks or “a 17-year-old who drops out of high school, buys a website for $5 and starts a blog.”
- Schumer’s bill has a much-broader definition and he believes the language is specific enough to include bloggers and unpaid contributors, and exclude WikiLeaks.
- “The world has changed. We’re very careful in this bill to distinguish journalists from those who shouldn’t be protected, WikiLeaks and all those, and we’ve ensured that,” Schumer said. “But there are people who write and do real journalism, in different ways than we’re used to. They should not be excluded from this bill.”
- Link: Read Schumer’s Bill
- Back in the 2009 debate over who is a journalist, Senator Patrick Leahy pointed to an old-school blogger who may not have enjoyed shield-law protections back in the 1700s under the Feinstein-Durbin amendment.
- Leahy said Benjamin Franklin as an “anonymous blogger” who had a critical role in explaining “the reasons why this country should exist.” (Other Senators used Thomas Paine as an example.)
- The debate will continue in September when the Senate returns from its recess and the bill moves on to a wider discussion.
- But as Congress ponders a national shield law, recent events in the courts could also have an effect on bloggers and “traditional” journalists who might need to protect their sources from federal investigators.
- A July 2013 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling reaffirmed that the First Amendment doesn’t allow reporters to protect confidential sources in federal criminal cases.
- In United States v. Sterling, a divided court said New York Times reporter James Risen must testify in the trial of former CIA officer Jeffrey Sterling, who is charged with leaking classified information to Risen.
- “There is no First Amendment testimonial privilege, absolute or qualified, that protects a reporter from being compelled to testify,” said Judge William B. Traxler Jr.
- “Risen is the only eyewitness to the crime. He is inextricably involved in it. Without him, the alleged crime would not have occurred …. He is the only witness who can specify the classified information that he received, and the source or sources from whom he received it,” said Traxler.
- The court evaluated the Sterling case in the light of Branzburg v. Hayes, a 1972 Supreme Court decision that said the First Amendment doesn’t protect reporters from testifying before a grand jury if they have witnessed a crime.
- Justice Byron White wrote the majority opinion in the 5-4 decision, but it was a concurring opinion from Justice Lewis Powell that led to a greater movement toward state shield laws. Powell believed courts should balance the government’s need for information with a journalist’s right to protect sources.
- Currently, only Wyoming doesn’t have a state shield law or a court-recognized privilege for reporters.
- In 1972, Justice White was also asking the same questions that Congress is debating today about the process of defining the word “journalist.”
- “The administration of a constitutional newsman’s privilege would present practical and conceptual difficulties of a high order. Sooner or later, it would be necessary to define those categories of newsmen who qualified for the privilege, a questionable procedure in light of the traditional doctrine that liberty of the press is the right of the lonely pamphleteer who uses carbon paper or a mimeograph just as much as of the large metropolitan publisher who utilizes the latest photocomposition methods,” White said in his opinion.
- White then referred to an older Supreme Court decision, Lovell v. City of Griffin, from 1938, when Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes said that, “The liberty of the press is not confined to newspapers and periodicals. It necessarily embraces pamphlets and leaflets. These indeed have been historic weapons in the defense of liberty, as the pamphlets of Thomas Paine and others in our own history abundantly attest. The press, in its historic connotation, comprehends every sort of publication which affords a vehicle of information and opinion.”
The DHS and Government need this and this will spread across the entire US. This is to allow DHS and other agency to operate outside of the the Constitution. The constitution cannot be limited to where the government wants. Even when they place these laws and limits they are all null and void according to Marbury v. Madison
Thus, the particular phraseology of the constitution of the United States confirms and strengthens the principle, supposed to be essential to all written constitutions, that a law repugnant to the constitution is void, and that courts, as well as other departments, are bound by that instrument.
- In what should be front page news blasted out nationwide as a breaking news alert, the DHS has openly established extensive ‘Constitution free zones’ in which your Fourth Amendment does not exist.
- It’s not ‘conspiracy’ and it’s not fraud, the DHS has literally created an imaginary ‘border’ within the United States that engulfs 100 miles from every single end of the nation. Within this fabricated ‘border’, the DHS can search your electronic belongings for no reason. We’re talking about no suspicion, no reasonable cause, nothing. No reason whatsoever is required under their own regulations. The DHS is now above the Constitution under their own rules, and even Wired magazine authors were amazed at the level of pure tyranny going on here.
- This ‘border’ even includes where the US land meets oceans in addition to legitimate borders with Mexico and Canada. As a result, you have over 197 million citizens suffocated in these 100 mile ‘border zones’ that include major cities like New York City, Houston, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia. Checkout the graphic below for a visual representation, with the orange area representing the Constitution free zone as designated by the DHS:
- What’s even more amazing, is that this has been going on since 2008. That’s about 5 years of absolute unconstitutional abuse of power by the Department of Homeland Security that the media fails to even document. That’s 197 million citizens living without a Constitution as far as the DHS is concerned, and apparently the Department of Justice (DOJ) must be pretty content too. Amazingly, no one has challenged this besides the ACLU, which was contacted following the case of a man who was actually detained within the 100 mile ‘border’ area.
- Not only was this man’s laptop searched for no reason, as is ‘allowed’ under DHS code now, but they ended up finding pictures designated to be linked up with ‘terrorist’ groups. In response, the man was thrown in a cell while DHS agents went through every piece of data on his entire laptop. The ACLU is now suing over this event, but there’s no telling how the case will go with such limited media exposure. The DHS is literally gutting the Constitution and declaring itself higher than the law of the land by doing this, and it spells out major trouble for the entire Bill of Rights at large.
- DHS DISMISSES CONSTITUTION, BILL OF RIGHTS
- Because if the DHS can simply ‘overrule’ the Fourth Amendment for 197 million citizens, it can also ‘overrule’ the First and Second Amendments as well. What’s stopping them? It’s highly illegal under the Constitution, but it appears they truly don’t care. And to demonstrate just how little they truly care, they have even gone and ‘reviewed’ themselves for their own actions following outcry from some legal experts.
- To break it down: back in 2008 there was outrage from those who actually value the Constitution and understand how the bloated DHS entity works, so the DHS promised to prove within 120 days that what they were doing was constitutional and legal. Years later, the report came out to reveal that the DHS actually reviewed itself and determined that it was acting 100% properly. It also founds that everything it was doing was ‘constitutional’ because it was not actually removing the Constitution from United States soil, only the ‘border’.
- The ‘border’ that expands 100 miles and includes 197 million people.
- This news should be on the front page of every single news organization in the world, but the sad reality is that it’s not. It’s up to the alternative news, the real news, to report on this. It’s up to me to make videos about this, it’s up to the alternative news to syndicate it out, and it’s up to you to share this. It’s time to reclaim our Constitution and tell the DHS we won’t live in Constitution free zones any longer.
- The impact distributed denial of service attacks on banks has had on consumers has been minimal, according to a consumer survey shared exclusively with American Banker on Monday.
- Asked if they are aware of the recent cyber attacks on financial institutions (and having such attacks defined and explained to them), almost half of U.S. consumers (45%) said yes and 42% said no. But asked if they had been affected, 94% of those who were aware of the attacks said “no.” So a very small segment of the population — less than 3% — say they have been directly affected by DDoS incidents. Of those who say they have been affected, 37% say they were unable to access account information and 33% say they couldn’t access their bank’s online services.
- The survey of 2,419 consumers was conducted by research firm TNS Global in June (for its Retail Banking Monitor).
- The majority of consumers surveyed (57%) do believe cyber-attacks put their money at risk, but less than a quarter say they would conduct less business online, visit a branch more often, or call their bank’s call center more often because of that risk. On the other hand, they do agree that cyber-attacks will become more common (57%) and that it will be harder to conduct online transactions.
- Consumers would like to be informed of cyber-attacks on their bank. Most (61%) would like to be notified by email and 14% would like to receive mobile alerts. Only 4% said they would like to be notified by social media.
- The people TNS surveyed are not prone to lay blame on banks for the attacks. Asked if they think their bank or financial institution is at fault when cyber attacks occur, 67% said no. And asked if their bank was doing enough to prevent such attacks from occurring, 67% said yes.
Two things that are happening, there could be an strike on Syria/Iran either by Israel, the US or both. Plus this is being used to show why the NSA spying needs to continue and be expanded. This is a false flag event and there is high probability we will see an event in the next 30 days.
- The United States extended the closures of some embassies and consulates in the Middle East – which had been closed Sunday due to an al Qaeda threat – through Aug. 10 due to caution but not the emergence of any new threat, the State Department said.
- Other U.S. diplomatic posts, including in Kabul, Baghdad and Algiers, that had been closed on Sunday, will reopen on Monday, the State Department said.
- Posts in Abu Dhabi, Amman, Cairo, Riyadh, Dhahran, Jeddah, Doha, Dubai, Kuwait, Manama, Muscat, Sanaa, Tripoli, Antanarivo, Bujumbura, Djibouti, Khartoum, Kigali, and Port Louis will be closed through Saturday.
- U.S. diplomatic posts in Dhaka, Algiers, Nouakchott, Kabul, Herat, Mazar el Sharif, Baghdad, Basrah, and Erbil will open on Monday, the State Department said.
Here comes the government telling us why we need to spy on Americans. The programs are good and we need them. The government is now trying to convince the people why they need to spy on everyone all the time.
- Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) says the United States is paying “very, very close attention” to terrorist chatter indicating that something bad is about to happen somewhere overseas.
- “Chatter means conversation among terrorists about the planning that’s going on — very reminiscent of what we saw pre- 9/11,” Chambliss told David Gregory, host of NBC’s “Meet the Press.”
- “We didn’t take heed on 9/11 in the way that we should, but here I think it’s very important that we do take the right kind of planning as we come to the close of Ramadan. We know that’s always an interesting time for terrorists. We’re also, what, 38 days, 37 days, away from the September 11 anniversary. So we’re paying very, very close attention to the chatter that’s going on. And I can tell you, David, this is the most serious threat that I’ve seen in the last several years.”
- Chambliss said the chatter does not explain where an attack might take place:
- “That’s part of the problem. But what we have heard is some specifics on what’s intended to be done, and some individuals who are making plans such as we saw before 9/11; whether they’re going to be suicide deaths that are used, or whether they’re planning on vehicle-borne bombs being carried into an area, we don’t know, but we’re hearing some kind of that same chatter, David, that we heard pre-11…”
- The United States has temporarily closed 19 diplomatic posts as a precaution.
- Chambliss said some of the terrorist plotting was picked up by controversial government surveillance programs. “If we did not have these programs, then we simply wouldn’t be able to listen in on the bad guys. And I will say that it’s the 702 program that has allowed us to pick up on this chatter. That’s the program that allows us to listen overseas — not on domestic soil but overseas. And that’s where all the planning is taking place. We think that’s where the activity (is) planned for.
- “So, yes, these programs, even though they’re controversial, this is a good indication of why they’re so important.”
- Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act allows the government to eavesdrop and/or intercept communications on foreigners outside the United States. According to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, “It cannot be used to intentionally target any U.S. citizen, any other U.S. person, or anyone located within the United States.”
Lets see, the NSA was being probed, they were in the midst of getting de-funded, Amash amendment was voted down but being re-introduced and it could pass this time. Obama is in the middle of IRA, NSA, Benghazi gates. So it really is amazing what perfect timing and how big this terrorist threat is. With this type of warning why is the DHS terrorist warning blank?
- The terrorist threat that prompted the closure of 22 U.S. embassies and consulates in predominantly Muslim countries is “very credible” and “specific as to how enormous it was going to be,” lawmakers from both parties said.
- “High-level people from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula are talking about a major attack,” U.S. Representative C.A. “Dutch” Ruppersberger of Maryland, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence committee, said on ABC’s “This Week” program. “The good news is that we’ve picked up intelligence.”
- The information includes communications among known terrorists intercepted by the National Security Agency in recent days, according to two U.S. officials who asked not to be identified discussing classified intelligence matters. They declined to offer specifics about the exchanges, only saying the content is credible and disturbing.
- While an attempted attack is most likely to happen in the Middle East, “It could be in Europe, it could be in the United States,” Representative Peter King, a New York Republican who serves on both the House Intelligence and Homeland Security committees, said on “This Week.” “It could be a series of combined attacks.”
- “This threat was so specific as to how enormous it was going to be and also certain dates were given,” King said.
- The U.S. State Department last week issued a worldwide travel alert warning citizens of potential terror attacks in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia by al-Qaeda or its affiliates. The primary focus is on al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, a terrorist group based in Yemen and a remote part of Saudi Arabia, according to King and the two American officials.
- Late Sunday, the department extended the closures of some embassies and consulates in the Middle East through Aug. 10 due to caution but not the emergence of any new threat, the State Department said.
- Other U.S. diplomatic posts, including in Kabul, Baghdad and Algiers, that had been closed on Sunday, will reopen on Monday, the State Department said.
- Posts in Abu Dhabi, Amman, Cairo, Riyadh, Dhahran, Jeddah, Doha, Dubai, Kuwait, Manama, Muscat, Sanaa, Tripoli, Antanarivo, Bujumbura, Djibouti, Khartoum, Kigali, and Port Louis will be closed through Saturday.
- U.S. diplomatic posts in Dhaka, Algiers, Nouakchott, Kabul, Herat, Mazar el Sharif, Baghdad, Basrah, and Erbil will open on Monday.
- “This is the most serious threat that I’ve seen in the last several years,” Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, the top Republican on the chamber’s Intelligence Committee, said today on NBC’s “Meet the Press” program. “There’s been an awful lot of chatter out there” among terrorists planning attacks, Chambliss said, noting that this was “reminiscent of what we saw pre-9/11.”
- The embassies and consulates closed this weekend as a precaution include those in Libya, Egypt, Yemen and Afghanistan, according to a list posted on the department’s website.
- “Current information suggests that al-Qaeda and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks both in the region and beyond, and that they may focus efforts to conduct attacks in the period between now and the end of August,” the department said. The attacks “may involve public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure.”
- The warning of a potential attack by al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations is unusual this time partly because the groups are so “widely dispersed,” said Michael Chertoff, who was Homeland Security secretary under President George W. Bush.
- “It’s actually quite rare to have this broad and yet so alarming and specific a warning be publicly disseminated,” Chertoff, who founded a security consulting company in Washington, told ABC’s “This Week.”
- President Barack Obama instructed his national security team last week to “take all appropriate steps to protect the American people in light of a potential threat occurring in or emanating from the Arabian Peninsula,” according to a press release issued by the White House yesterday. “The president has received frequent briefings over the last week on all aspects of the potential threat and our preparedness measures.”
- The State Department pledged to increase security at embassies and consulates after the attack on a U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012, led to the death of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans. The Central Intelligence Agency said it had warned the State Department repeatedly of terrorist threats in Benghazi before the attack, according to e-mails released later by the White House.
- The State Department had issued a similar warning of possible attacks before that.
- The latest alert and embassy closures may be an effort to disrupt al-Qaeda operations, according to Michael Hayden, who served as CIA director under the George W. Bush administration.
- The announcements may be designed to put al-Qaeda “on the back foot, to let them know that we’re alert and we’re on to at least a portion of this plot line,” Hayden said today on “Fox News Sunday.”
- The U.S. warning came days after al-Qaeda’s leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, urged his followers in a speech posted on jihadist websites to attack U.S. sites as a response to American drone strikes in Pakistan and Yemen, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors terrorist groups.
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is reported by CNN to be considering a special deployment of US forces in the Middle East ready for action if a terrorist attack makes it necessary. US warships have been ordered to sail into waters opposite Yemen, which is reported to be the source of the terrorist threat which has closed 19 US embassies and consulates in the Muslim world since Sunday. Marine units in southern Italy and Spain were also told to stand ready for intervention.
Seriously, this is what they are trying to push, conspiracy theories made me do it. I browsed the internet and learned, this is why I did it. I read something that Hitler had a point. Is this really the angle the government is using. Are they really trying to make people believe that the internet is bad, alternative media is bad and not lets forget about gun rights. I believe this is really what the Boston Bombing was all about, gun powder bomb, gun bill be voting on in the senate at the same time. It started to fall apart so they needed to take another approach.
- Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev had reading material that advocated white supremacy and conspiracy theories. The literature in his possession also explored the motivations and psychology behind mass killings.
- The 26-year-old, who was killed in a shootout with police after bombs killed three people during the Boston Marathon in April, read up on a number of conspiracy theories and “the rape of our gun rights.”
- The BBC’s Panorama TV program reported that the material accused the US government of orchestrating the 9/11 attacks and the Oklahoma bombing in 1995. Tamerlan also had literature that explored the psychology behind mass killings and how the perpetrators “murdered and maimed calmly.”
- “[Tamerlan] just didn’t like America. He felt like America was just basically attacking all Middle Eastern countries…you know, trying to take their oil,” a friend of Tamerlan’s told Panorama.
- A right-wing article advocating white supremacy that reportedly belonged to the suspected killer also argued that “Hitler had a point.”
- Tamerlan Tsarnaev, along with his brother Dzhokhar, allegedly detonated two homemade bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon in April. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed by police in the subsequent manhunt, while his younger brother was apprehended and has since been charged with murder and use of a weapon of mass destruction and could face the death penalty. Dzhokhar denies the charges against him.
- Speculation has been rife as to whether US secret services could have prevented the attack. The FBI denied last week that it could have stopped the plot from coming to fruition, had they ramped up surveillance on Tamerlan. Russian intelligence agencies advised the FBI to monitor Tsarnaev in 2011, whom they suspected of fostering extremist Islamist beliefs.
- The two brothers relocated to the US from Dagestan around 10 years ago.
- The FBI is currently investigating suspicions that Tamerlan became radicalized during a visit to Dagestan last year. House Intelligence Committee chairman Mike Rogers told the BBC that the brothers’ mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, had a hand in his radicalization.
- “He had family members encouraging, we know that for sure,” he said.
- Zubeidat Tsarnaeva denies these accusations and maintains Dzhokhar and Tamerlan’s innocence. In an interview to RT after the April bombings she accused the FBI of framing her sons for the attacks.