Author Topic: Organic Veggie Farmer in Oregon  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Jeff Bramlett

• View Profile
Organic Veggie Farmer in Oregon
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:03:38 PM »
Howdy, my name is Jeff Bramlett. I really love listening to the X22 Report while working. My farm is named Pitchfork and Crow. It is just me and my wife. We have a website, www.pitchforkandcrow.com    One thing about gardening some people have trouble with is knowing when to plant things. I think using the moon as a guide can help. When the moon is in the First Quarter, plant greens like spinach, lettuce, etc... When the moon is in the Second Quarter, plant fruiting things like peas, squash, tomatoes, melons, etc... When the moon is in the Third Quarter plant roots like beets, carrots, potatoes, etc... In the Fourth Quarter, focus on weeding, trellising, working up ground, fertilizing, etc..

It is easy when you think about it. During the First Quarter, the moon is just sprouting and growing, like a leafy vegetable. In the Second Quarter it is going from 1/2 full to FULL, like a maturing fruit swelling. In the Third Quarter, it is shrinking and going down in size, reminding you of plants that grow below ground. In the Fourth Quarter, it is dark, so time to focus on maintenance. That is just a general guide to keep you on track. Of course, during some moon cycles, tomatoes are not appropriate to plant, etc... I think the moon has an affect on things, but this is just an organizational tool for the gardener. There are more complex systems, like the Bio-dynamic calendars where every day is different depending on constellations, but I like the basic moon planting way. Thanks if you read this. Hope to learn a lot here.