Greece Syriza party has won the elections. Other countries are waiting to see if Greece writes-off their debt. Mattel profits implode during the holiday season. IBM laying off employees. Baltic dry index fall again. Russia downgraded to junk by S&P. Gore pushing Agenda 21. US pushing war in Ukraine, use false flag in Mariupol. English speaking soldiers caught in Ukraine. Warnings at Embassies in Lebanon and Yemen. Malaysian Airlines attacked by the Islamic State. FBI caught Russian spy in NY to push the agenda of demonizing Russia.
Please check the Sentinel Alerts for the latest news on the economic collapse. The Sentinel Alerts are updated throughout the day. If you haven’t already, go to “The People” and join the community of people who are helping each through the economic collapse.
Current News – 01.26.2015
- The first public address of Greece’s new leaders, Alexis Tsipras has begun. The key highlights of his speech so far:
- TSIPRAS SAYS GREEK PEOPLE HAVE WRITTEN HISTORY
TSIPRAS SAYS GREECE IS TURNING PAGE, LEAVING AUSTERITY BEHIND
TSIPRAS SAYS BAILOUT AGREEMENTS HAVE ENDED FOR GREECE
TSIPRAS SAYS TROIKA ERA IS OVER FOR GREECE
TSIPRAS SAYS SYRIZA GOVT READY TO NEGOTIATE, COOPERATE ON DEBT
TSIPRAS SAYS OLIGARCHS, ELITES IN GREECE HAVE BEEN DEFEATED
TSIPRAS SAYS SYRIZA VICTORY IS VICTORY FOR PEOPLES OF EUROPE
- Contagion? Well don’t worry about that! German Chancellor Angela Merkel assures us that will not happen. However, a difference of opinion is forming in Greece, Spain, and Ireland.Christine Lagarde was quick to respond in the pages of the Irish Times during a visit to Dublin last Monday. “In principle, collective efforts are welcome, but at the same time a debt is a debt” she said.Greece’s debt burden to be considered within a broader restructuring of sovereign debt in the euro zone. Its leader, Alexis Tsipras, has called for a “European Debt Conference”, based on the 1953 London Conference that wrote off half of post-war Germany’s debt and extended the repayment period for the rest over a number of decades.Whether Germany agrees to restructuring or not, what cannot be paid back, won’t. Germany either agrees to debt restructuring or Greece will default. Either way, Germany will pay a price.
The earnings imploded during the holiday season. This is the time that toy companies make their profits.
- Sales fell 6% to $1.99 billion. Sales of the iconic fashion doll fell a staggering 21% in the third quarter, contributing to a 22% drop in profits and an 8% decline in sales for the toy maker.
- IBM is debunking rumors that its about to lay off 100,000 employees, or over a quarter of its workforce, as “ridiculous.” But it is confirming that cuts are coming.
- Doing the math on that, that means that closer to 10,000 + jobs will be cut.
- Baltic Dry Index falls down 17 points to 703 points.
- RUSSIAN FEDERATION RATINGS CUT TO JUNK BY S&P
- RUSSIAN FEDERATION CUT TO BB+ FROM BBB- BY S&P; OUTLOOK NEG
- Putting it below investment grade for the first time in a decade.
- *SILUANOV: S&P DOWNGRADE OF RUSSIA SHOWS ‘EXCESSIVE PESSIMISM’
- Spend $90 trillion (£59 trillion) over the next few years to redesign all the cities — as in all the cities on earth — so people live in more densely packed neighborhoods and don’t need cars. sound like agenda 21
- That is one of the more ambitious (and possibly outlandish) ideas knocking around the World Economic Forum at Davos, Switzerland, on Thursday morning.
- The $90 trillion proposal came from former US vice president Al Gore, former president of Mexico Felipe Calderon, and their colleagues on The Global Commission on the Economy and Climate.
- Part of fighting climate change will mean redesigning, or building anew, towns and cities without cars, Calderon says.
- The key will be to persuade the mayors — again, all the mayors on earth — that designing new cities this way will be vastly preferable to the old way, in terms of efficiency and prosperity for their residents.
- Fulton County Sheriff Thomas J. Lorey told local pistol permit carriers that they would soon receive invitations to renew their permits, a step that is now required every five years under New York’s new anti-gun law the NY SAFE Act. Sheriff Lorey then told the audience, “I’m asking everyone that gets those invitations to throw them in the garbage because that is where they belong… Lorey, “Let’s have everybody’s permit expire the same day and let ‘em see what they’re going to do with it.” He also told his constituents that he would refuse to enforce the law that requires them to recertify their pistol permits, protecting them from being punished for their civil disobedience.
Video: Americans Want Obama To Repeal The Bill Of Rights: “Let’s Do It, Let’s Get Behind It”
- What is described as a small drone was found on White House grounds on Monday morning. President Obama and the First Lady are on a trip to India. The Security Service is looking for the perpetrators.
- White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest confirmed that “a device” has been found. “The early indications are that it does not pose any sort of ongoing threat to anybody at the White House,” he said.
- “There was an immediate alert and lockdown of the complex until the device was examined and cleared,“a Secret Service spokeswoman said in a statement,
- American lawmakers are scrambling to come up with laws that would better regulate the use of the intrusive flying machines.
- A rebel spokesman said “(o)ur militias have no weapon systems near Mariupol that would be able to shell that region. Our positions are simply too far away.”
“According to our intelligence, the artillery was fired from the Stariy Krim neighborhood (less than 10 kilometers from central Mariupol).”
“Ukrainian troops are stationed there. We believe it was a provocation committed by the Ukrainian troops.”
- Fact: Donbass freedom fighters scrupulously observed Minsk protocol ceasefire terms.
- Fact: Kiev violated them straightaway.
- Fact: Rebels responded in self-defense. Their international law guaranteed right.
- Fact: Kerry consistently and diabolically blames them for Kiev crimes of war and against humanity.
- Fact: Instigated at the behest of Washington. Ukraine’s puppet master pulling the strings.
- Western media march in lockstep. Propaganda substitutes for hard truths.
- The IMF’s monetary policy is unacceptable for Ukraine and makes it a mere supplier of raw materials to Europe, the leader of the Opposition Bloc and deputy of the Verkhovna Rada, the Ukrainian parliament, Vadim Rabinovich said to the Ukrainian magazine Korrespondent on Monday.
- “The IMF’s monetary policy is austerity aimed at destroying our own nation. It suits us if we want to leave behind 5-7 million people,” Rabinovich said.
- He added that “not a single country has been rescued by the IMF loans yet.” “Only private entrepreneurs can do that. We need to quit hold of the economy, lift taxes on small and medium enterprises (SME) for two years, lift inspections for two years, stop borrowing internationally, and stimulate only those sectors that have the future, like IT or agriculture,” he said.
- Kiev authorities have announced that the next wave of mass mobilization will begin on January 28. But Ukrainians seem less than enthusiastic. From TASS:
Experts said it would not be easy for the authorities to carry out mobilization, as the Ukrainian population realizes that Kiev’s military operation in the east has no sense.
A Ukrainian analyst said more and more statements were heard in the Ukrainian society about readiness to sit in prison, but not to go to fight. In the situation, the decision on mobilization will be another test for the Ukrainian authorities, he said.
- “During the day, the enemy has attempted to break through our defense line by artillery fire and attacks of armored groups and force the militia forces out of the towns controlled by Donetsk
- Kiev “sees no alternative” to the Minsk ceasefire accords, President Petro Poroshenko said. However, the Ukrainian military is building up troops in the east to conduct “an adequate response” to the militia advancement, the Defense Ministry stated.
- The Ukrainian military’s shelling of the southeastern Ukrainian city of Mariupol is a provocation aimed at changing the format of talks on resolving the Donbass conflict,
- “We saw what happened in Mariupol. This is another attempt to accuse militias and cast them in a negative light. Today they call for turning the Minsk talks to a Geneva format and involve the United States there,” United
- Armed people in uniform speaking fluent English with no accent have been spotted in Mariupol in the aftermath of the rocket hit, fuelling allegations that foreign private military contractors are serving among Ukrainian troops.
- But among footage shot in Mariupol, there are some videos showing armed men in military uniform, who speak English fluently.As the correspondent points her microphone with a request to comment, the man covers his face with the other hand and says, “Out my face, out my face!”
- Security at Ukraine’s nuclear power plants has been enhanced by elements of missile defense, Sergei Bozhko, the chief of Ukraine’s State
- The Ukrainian army is essentially a ‘NATO legion’ which doesn’t pursue the national interests of Ukraine, but persists to restrict Russia, President Vladimir Putin says.
- “We often say: Ukrainian Army, Ukrainian Army. But who is reality fighting there? There are, indeed, partially official units of armed forces, but largely there are the so-called ‘volunteer nationalist battalions’,” said Putin.
- According to Putin, the Ukrainian army “is not an army, but a foreign legion, in this case a foreign NATO legion, which, of course, doesn’t pursue the national interests of Ukraine.”
- The Ukrainian government has introduced the state of emergency in the war-torn south-eastern Donetsk and Lugansk Regions, and put all other territories on high alert, Prime Minister Arseny Yatsenyuk announced.
- “In accordance with the Ukrainian Code of Civil Protection, the Cabinet of Ministers has adopted a decision to recognize an emergency situation at a state level.
- Basically Martial Law has been declared.
- Ukraine has asked its partners, including NATO members, for additional military assistance in light of the deteriorating security situation in the southeast of the country, the Ukrainian envoy to NATO said Monday.
- On Sunday, a NATO source told RIA Novosti that an extraordinary meeting of the NATO-Ukraine Commission at Ukraine’s request would take place on Monday at ambassadorial level.
- The request is said to be based on Article 15 of the NATO-Ukraine Charter on a Distinctive Partnership, which allows the possibility for Ukraine and NATO to carry out consultations when Ukraine “perceives a direct threat to its territorial integrity, political independence, or security”.
- U.S. President Barack Obama said Washington was considering all options short of military action to isolate Russia. The European Union called an emergency meeting of foreign ministers of its 28 member states.
- “We are deeply concerned about the latest break in the ceasefire and the aggression that these separatists — with Russian backing, Russian equipment, Russian financing, Russian training and Russian troops — are conducting,” Obama said
- Vladimir Putin’s press secretary has called fresh threats of anti-Russian sanctions “an absolutely destructive and unjustified course that would eventually prove to be shortsighted.”
- “Russia has never agreed to such threats and moreover, the threats and blackmail have never led and never would lead to the change of Russia’s well known and logical position,” Dmitry Peskov said
- The U.S. Embassy in Beirut issued a “security message” over the weekend warning its citizens against traveling to Lebanon.
- “The U.S. Embassy will be closed to the public until further notice out of an abundance of caution and care for our employees and others who may be visiting the Embassy. We are continuously analyzing the security conditions and will resume consular operations as soon as our analysis indicates we are able to do so safely,” the statement said.
- Libya’s recognized government said it forced a tanker from delivering fuel diverting the vessel to its own territory by threatening an air attack on it.
- Canadian special forces have twice exchanged gunfire with Islamic State fighters in Iraq since the first confirmed ground battle between Western troops and IS earlier this month, a senior officer said Monday.
- President Bashar al-Assad has said U.S.-led air strikes against Islamic State militants in Syria should be subject to an agreement with Damascus and S
- Syrian President Bashar Assad said in an interview published Monday that U.S. plans to train vetted rebels to fight ISIS were “illusory” as they would eventually defect to the jihadis.
- The Syrian leader also questioned talks to be held in Moscow this week, telling Foreign Affairs magazine that his government would attend but was not convinced the opposition figures taking part represented Syrians on the ground.
- Assad said the planned U.S.-trained force would be “illegal” and would be treated like any other rebel group.
- Assad has pointed to Israel as perpetrating attacks in the war-torn country in order to bolster forces that seek to topple his Damascus regime..He accused Israel as conducting air strikes in Syria, saying “whenever we make advances in some place, they attack in order to undermine the army. It’s very clear.””That’s why some in Syria joke, ‘How can you say that al-Qaida doesn’t have an air force? They have the Israeli air force’,”
- Malaysia Airlines’s website in some regions was hacked by a group calling itself “Cyber Caliphate” with the slogan “ISIS will prevail,” the latest in a series of cyber-attacks by people claiming affiliation with Islamic State.
- The site subsequently showed a picture of a lizard and the name of the hacker group Lizard Squad.
- Federal prosecutors in New York charged three men in an alleged Russian spy ring centered in Manhattan and the Bronx, according to a Jan. 23 complaint unsealed today by the office of Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara. According to CNN’s Shimon Prokupecz, Evgeny Buryakov, working with Igor Sporyshev and Victor Podobnyy, was trying to recruit NYC residents as intelligence sources for the Russian Federation.
- The FBI arrested a Russian spy in New York who was trying to collect intelligence, the federal agency announced Monday.
- “Just in: FBI arrests Russian spy in the Bronx who was part of ring attempting to collect economic intelligence & recruit” New York City residents, .